Personal tools
You are here: Home If you have Been Denied

If you have Been Denied

If you are denied expedited issuance or are denied Food Stamps, you should receive a notice from DHS. If your
caseworker has just told you orally that you probably would not be eligible for Food Stamps, fill out an application. If you are denied Food Stamps you should always get a written notice. If you think the denial is wrong, you may want to do the following:

1. Request a hearing if you think the denial was wrong. There is a form to request a hearing on the back of your denial notice. You can also print a hearing request form (PDF).

2. Seek legal advice. Contact your local legal services office, look under "Find a Lawyer" on or look up "attorneys" in the yellow pages, or call the State Bar's lawyer referral service at (800) 968-0738.

3. Reapply if your circumstances have changed since you were denied.

Information Not Legal Advice. This web site has been prepared for general information purposes only. The information on this web site is not legal advice. Legal advice is dependent upon the specific circumstances of each situation.